Prosecutors Say National Obscenity Standard Doesn't Apply in Isaacs Case

LOS ANGELES — U.S. prosecutors argue that national obscenity standards don't apply in the Ira Isaacs case because movies he sold on the Internet were sent through the mail.

The Justice Department made that argument in a motion late last week as trial nears for Isaacs at U.S. District Court in Los Angeles. His obscenity prosecution is slated to begin Feb. 8.

But Isaacs attorney Roger Jon Diamond told XBIZ that he thinks the brief written by the government was a waste of time because he will not oppose their motion.

"This was a non-issue as far as I'm concerned," he said. "But the government felt it was necessary to request a pretrial determination over the standard to be applied in light of the Kilbride decision [that advocates a national obscenity standard for Internet obscenity cases] ."

Diamond said a local community standards applied in the case would be more beneficial because the pool of jurors would be from Los Angeles, Orange and Ventura counties, where jurors are typically more liberal-minded.

Isaacs' obscenity case was put on hold nearly two years ago after U.S. District Judge Alex Kozinski recused himself after it was revealed that he used a website to distribute sexually explicit photos and videos. Later, the 9th Circuit decided that Kozinski exercised “sound discretion” in declaring a mistrial because of “extraordinary circumstances.”

Since the case was put on hold, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, ruling in U.S. vs. Kilbride, 584 F. 3d 1240(9th Cir. 2009), changed the prosecutorial landscape.

In the Kilbride CAN-SPAM case, the 9th Circuit held that it is more logical for Internet obscenity prosecutions to face national community standards.

The pretrial motion made by federal prosecutors last week said that Isaacs "cannot claim that by sending his material to a different community he is subjected to different community standards because he is being prosecuted in the jurisdiction from which he sent the material. He should at least be familiar with the standards in his own community.

"Kilbride has no application to this case," Justice Department attorney Bonnie Hannon said. "Existing [U.S.] Supreme Court precedent calls for the application of local community standards in this case and rejects the notion of creating a national community standard."

Isaacs, who owns Stolen Cars Films and LA Media, was targeted by federal prosecutors more than three years ago over the distribution of “Gang Bang Horse — ‘Pony Sex Game,’” “Mako’s First Time Scat,” “Hollywood Scat Amateurs No. 7” and “BAE 20.”

Related:  

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Pure Taboo Debuts 'Behind the Scenes Documentary' for Latest 'Under the Bed'

Pure Taboo has released a behind-the-scenes documentary on its series “Under the Bed,” spotlighting the episode “The Growth.”

Connie Perignon Toplines David Perry's 'Sexual Desires 2'

Connie Perignon headlines director David Perry's “Sexual Desires 2” from Evil Angel.

Proposed New Hampshire AV Bill Appears to Violate Constitution

A bill in the New Hampshire state legislature, aimed at requiring adult sites to age-verify users in that state, contains a provision that seemingly contradicts the Supremacy Clause in Article VI of the U.S. Constitution.

Rae Sixty Nine Makes Her TransAngels Debut

Rae Sixty Nine has made her TransAngels debut opposite Adam x Lee in the studio’s latest release, titled “Cock Ride.”

Ariel Demure Toplines 'TS MILFs' From TransSensual

Reigning XMAs Trans Performer of the Year Ariel Demure headlines “TS MILFs,” the latest title from Mile High Media studio imprint TransSensual.

AEBN Publishes Report on Fetish Trends

AEBN has published a report on fetish categories from its straight and gay theaters.

Online Child Protection Hearing to Include Federal AV Bill

A House subcommittee will hold a hearing next week on a slate of bills aimed at protecting minors online, including the SCREEN Act, which would make site-based age verification of users seeking to access adult content federal law.

Lana Wolf Returns to Immoral Productions

British star Lana Wolf stars in a new two-part scene from Immoral Productions alongside Dean Van Damme and studio honcho “Porno” Dan Leal.

Lulu Chu, Connie Perignon Star in 'Locked, Cocked & Loaded' From Brazzers

Lulu Chu and Connie Perignon star with Victor Ray in the latest release from Brazzers, titled "Locked, Cocked & Loaded."

Adriana Chechik Returns to Evil Angel With Blowbang From Jonni Darkko

Adriana Chechik has returned to Evil Angel with a blowbang from director Jonni Darkko.

Show More